Utah's CBS affiliate, KUTV Channel 2, featured several news segments promoting Utah Opera's production of "Il Trovatore."
THE UTAH OPERA 2017-18 SEASON
UTAH OPERA 40TH ANNIVERSARY SEASON HIGHLIGHTS
Reprise of “La bohème,” the first opera produced by Utah Opera
Double-bill of “Pagliacci” and “Gianni Schicchi,” and grand finale celebration with “Die Fledermaus”
The Utah debut of American contemporary opera "Moby-Dick"
New costumes and sets constructed in house at the Utah Opera Production Studios for two productions: “Moby-Dick” and double-bill of “Pagliacci” and “Gianni Schicchi”
Christopher McBeth Season Announcement
2017-18 UTAH OPERA PERFORMANCES
An Evening with Renée Fleming
Kick off our 40th Anniversary Season with international opera sensation Renée Fleming. If you’ve already seen this world’s beloved opera singer on television, this is your chance to see her live, in-person on the stage. Experience Ms. Fleming’s trademark lyricism as we celebrate Utah Opera’s past and support its future.
Life is short. Love is forever.
Look inside the soul of an artist, with Puccini’s classic depiction of struggling bohemians navigating love, life and death in turn-of-the-century Paris. Join Utah Opera as it comes full circle to bring you “La bohème,” a celebration of Utah Opera’s inaugural performance in 1978.
By Giacomo Puccini
October 7, 9, 11, 13 | 7:30 PM |
October 15 | 2 PM |
- Perfect “First Opera”
- Artists struggle with life and love in turn-of-the-century Paris
- The opera that launched the company in January 1978, Puccini’s "La bohème".
- Last performed by the company in October 2010, and the 2017 production will mark its seventh appearance on the Utah Opera stage.
- Puccini’s classic depicts struggling bohemians navigating love, life and death in turn-of-the-century Paris.
OBSESSION HAS NEVER RUN DEEPER.
Since its debut in 2010, Jake Heggie and Gene Scheer’s operatic adaptation of Melville’s classic novel has enraptured audiences with its innovative storytelling. Now, experience this entirely new production created by Utah Opera. Don’t miss this incredible combination of astounding visuals and spellbinding music as Utah Opera sweeps you out to sea on a quest fueled by one man’s willingness to risk everything for revenge.
Music by Jake Heggie
Libretto by Gene Scheer
Commissioned by The Dallas Opera Company
By Jake Heggie and Gene Scheer
January 20, 22, 24, 26, 2018 | 7:30 PM
January 28, 2018 | 2:00 PM
Director – Kristine McIntyre
Conductor – Joseph Mechavich
Set Designer – Erhard Rom
Costume Designer – Jessica Jahn
Choreographer – Daniel Charon
Greenhorn – Joshua Dennis
Captain Ahab – Roger Honeywell
Queequeg – Musa Ngqungwana
Starbuck – David Adam Moore
Pip - Jasmine Habersham
Captain Gardiner - Jesus Murillo
- Premiered in 2010 co-commissioned by Dallas Opera and four other companies
- Widely considered the most significant opera of the century to date
- All new production designed by Erhard Rom with costumes by Jessica Jahn is under construction in house at Utah Opera Production Studios and co-produced with Pittsburgh Opera
- All male cast, except for the cabin boy, Pip, a “pants role” played by a soprano
- The Ahab role is sung with one leg tied up and resting on a peg.
Stage Director Kristine McIntyre discusses:
- Costume design
- Set details
- Overarching themes
- Composer Jake Heggie and Librettist Gene Sheer
- Nautical themes and set
- The role of Pip
LA Opera sneak peek of “Moby-Dick”
San Diego Opera :: In depth look at the West Coast premiere of Jake Hegge’s “Moby-Dick” (80 minutes)
“Pagliacci" and “Gianni Schicchi”
PLAYING THE CLOWN & CLOWNING AROUND.
Betrayal is no laughing matter in Leoncavallo’s tense masterpiece of passion, infidelity and murder. Featuring some of the most emotionally intense compositions in all of opera, “Pagliacci” includes the famous aria “Vesti la giubba,” sung by the clown Canio, a signature role of Utah Opera’s founder Glade Peterson.
When a man of great wealth dies, he leaves behind a secret will, a gang of scheming heirs, and a hilarious mess. Watch, listen, and laugh as the Utah Opera explores the lighter side of Puccini, where you’ll find comedy in the chaos, along with one of opera’s most beautiful arias.
By Ruggero Leoncavallo (“Pagliacci”)
By Giacomo Puccini (“Gianni Schicchi”)
March 10, 12, 14, 16, 2018 | 7:30 PM
March 18, 2018 | 2 PM
- Two one-act operas form a single evening of tragedy juxtaposed with comedy
- Canio, the sad clown in “Pagliacci,” was a signature role for Utah Opera founder Glade Peterson
- “Gianni Schicchi” is based on an episode from Dante’s Inferno
- “O mio babbino caro” is the best known aria in “Gianni Schicchi”
VIDEO: “Vesti la giubba” from “Pagliacci” sung by Enrico Caruso - 1st million-selling recording
'O mio babbino caro' from “Gianni Schicchi” sung by Ekaterina Siurina, The Royal Opera
BLAME IT ON THE CHAMPAGNE.
Take a lot of champagne. Combine it with a cast of outrageous characters. Add in a bat costume. Now stir it into a gigantic party, and you have a recipe for something ridiculously fun. Join Utah Opera for a lavishly costumed spectacle that celebrates the close of our 40th Anniversary Season the best way we know how—with an uproarious production of the ultimate party opera.
By Johann Strauss Jr.
May 12, 14, 16, 18, 2018 | 7:30 PM
May 20, 2018 | 2 PM
Director – Kyle Lang
Conductor – Gary Thor Wedow
Eisenstein – Daniel Belcher
Dr. Falke – Troy Cook
Rosalinde – Sara Gartland
Prince Orlovsky – Abigail Levis
Adele – Abigail Rethwisch
Utah Opera Chorus
- Johann Strauss, Jr. known as the “Waltz King” for his trademark effervescent party music
- Overture is recognizable and much loved quintessential Strauss
- A Viennese Operetta with a fabulous party scene in Act II
Overture to “Die Fledermaus” featured in Vienna Philharmonic’s New Year’s concert
Utah Opera to bring ghosts and gypsies in 'Il Trovatore' performance
Utah Opera Presents "Il Trovatore"
Utah Opera's "Il Trovatore" at the Capitol Theatre starting Saturday
Utah Opera’s Opening Night 2012-2013
Salt Lake Magazine was at the opening performance of "Il Trovatore" to photograph some of the exciting moments and important people who attended Utah Opera's Opening Night for the 2012-2013 Season.
- Utah Symphony | Utah Opera board chair honored by OPERA America
- Utah Opera ventures into the wild with ‘Florencia en el Amazonas’
- Utah Opera turns fantasy into reality in upcoming production of 'Florencia en el Amazonas'
- "Salome," "Abduction from the Seraglio" and more set for Utah Opera's 2013-14 Season